Saturday, December 22, 2012


THE FATHER GLORIFIED

Herein is My Father Glorified, that Ye Bear Much Fruit—John 15:8

HOW can we glorify God? Not by adding to His glory or bringing Him any new glory that He has not. But simply by allowing His glory to shine out through us, by yielding ourselves to Him, that His glory may manifest itself in us and through us to the world. In a vineyard or a vine bearing much fruit, the owner is glorified, as it tells of his skill and care. In the disciple who bears much fruit, the Father is glorified. Before men and angels, proof is given of the glory of God's grace and power; God's glory shines out through him.

This is what Peter means when he writes: "He that ministers, let him minister as of the ability that God giveth, that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ." As a man works and serves in a power which comes from God alone, God gets all the glory. When we confess that the ability came from God alone, he that does the work, and they who see it, equally glorify God. It was God who did it. Men judge by the fruit of a garden of what the gardener is. Men judge of God by the fruit that the branches of the Vine of His planting bears. Little fruit brings little glory to God. It brings no honor to either the Vine or the Husbandman. "That ye bear much fruit, herein is my Father glorified."

We have sometimes mourned our lack of fruit, as a loss to ourselves and our fellow men, with complaints of our feebleness as the cause. Let us rather think of the sin and shame of little fruit as robbing God of the glory He ought to get from us. Let us learn the secret of bringing glory to God, serving of the ability which God giveth. The full acceptance of Christ's Word, "You can do nothing"; the simple faith in God, who worketh all in all; the abiding in Christ through whom the divine Husbandman does His work and gets much fruit—this is the life that will bring glory to God.

Much fruit. God asks it; see that you give it. God can be content with nothing less; be you content with nothing less. Let these words of Christ—fruit, more fruit, much fruit—abide in you, until you think as He does, and you be prepared to take from Him, the heavenly Vine, what He has for you. Much fruit: herein is my Father glorified. Let the very height of the demand be your encouragement. It is so entirely beyond your power, that it throws you more entirely upon Christ, your true Vine. He can, He will, make it true in you.

Much fruit. God asks because he needs. He does not ask fruit from the branches of His Vine for show, to prove what He can do. No; He needs it for the salvation of men: it is in that He is to be glorified. Throw yourself in much prayer on your Vine and your Husbandman. Cry to God and your Father to give you fruit to bring to men. Take the burden of the hungry and the perishing on you, as Jesus did when He was moved with compassion, and your power in prayer, and your abiding, and your bearing much fruit to the glory of the Father will have a reality and a certainty you never knew before.

The Father glorified. Blessed prospect—God glorifying Himself in me, showing forth the glory of His goodness and power in what He works in me, and through me. What a motive to bear much fruit, just as much as He works in me! Father, glorify Thyself in me.



The True Vine.  Andrew Murray

5 comments:

  1. Dear Annie,

    I hope you have a very blessed Christmas. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Annie, I wanted to ask you this, but not on Christmas. I don't know what to do when some people aren't supportive of giving God the glory. There are some, who minimize God's involvement and try to give me credit instead of God. It's very frustrating for me when this happens, and I don't feel like I'm doing an effective job of redirecting them to focus on God's blessings. Debra Seiling http://bible-passages.blogspot.com and http://christian-overeaters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debbie,

    I just got home from spending 4 days with daughter, son-in-law, my son and my 10 grandchildren. I hope you had a joyous Christmas also.

    Debbie, regarding your comment above, I have to say that I am often quick to compliment someone on things they have done, such as cooking a great meal, playing a piano piece I enjoyed, you know, things you enjoy and appreciate that someone has done. Most people just say thank you, especially kids. Occasionally, someone will say it is only because God has enabled me to do so, or has given me a passion for this that I am able to do it. So all glory goes to God. Either one is ok. After saying thank you, the person may want to know how you developed a passion for a certain thing. There is your chance to open up more regarding how God enables, strengthens and gives us a passion for particular things.
    This is also glorifying God.

    There are some who do not yet recognize God's involvement so will naturally give you all credit. There are others who know God is involved in every good thing but kind of forget to acknowledge this at the moment when they are giving a compliment, and there are others who keep it uppermost in their mind all the time so they don't forget. I admit, I am one who should, but too often doesn't give God glory for everything I do. When I do, I just say I am so grateful that God has given me a passion for this and enabled me to do it.

    Just pray for those who neglect to do it as they may be like me, and occasionally forget to acknowledge God's involvement. Some of us need more practice in giving God the glory and even in thanking Him more often than we do...even though we are grateful to Him and our heart desires after Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here are a few Scripture references that may help along with letting another know that you do not want the credit, but feel God deserves it all because He has enabled you and given you a passion for certain things.

      Psalm 115:1 Not to us, O LORD, not to us but to Your name be the glory, because of Your love and faithfulness.

      1 Peter 4:11 If anyone speaks, he should do it speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory and power forever. Amen

      John 15:4-5 Jesus said, 'Remain in Me and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in Me.
      I am the Vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in Me and I in Him, he will bear much fruit; apart from Me you can do nothing.'

      Romans 11:36 For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever! Amen.

      I'm certain we could find many more verses partaining to how we can do nothing of eternal worth without Him. Apart from Him we can do nothing of eternal worth for His glory.

      We cannot change another's reaction to us by redirecting them to focus on God's blessings (the Holy Spirit's job) except as they see us glorifying God in our lives and desire to do the same. This will only come about by praying for them to desire to give Him glory in all things more often. God is the One who can cause them to desire after Him more and more. We cannot read their hearts, only God can. My heart deeply desires after God, yet I often do not thank Him as much as I should or give Him glory as much as I should even though I am very grateful and recognize it is only because of Him I am able or that I even desire to do anything for others through Him. When we do good for others, we are doing good for Him. In this way He is glorified by our mercy,grace, compassion, and caring for others in His name...in His character and love. Therefore others will glorify Him because of our actions through Him.

      You have encouraged me much and have given me smiles and delights in reading your encouragements over the past months while I have not been well. I am fully aware where they come from. They come from Christ in you, our hope of glory. He has gifted you in this area. I have thanked Him for having you as a friend who has stuck by me and through whom God has used to give the exact words I needed at a particular time.

      What you did for me...you did for God. This is how God works in each of us to bring glory to Himself.

      Be blessed both now and in this coming New Year. I wish you good health and safety and deeper and deeper spiritual growth in Him.

      hugs,
      Annie

      Delete
    2. Dear Annie,
      I have so missed reading your insights which always make me feel more blessed, more focused on trying to do God's will, although I fumble my way through, at times. Thank you so much, Debbie Seiling http://bible-passages.blogspot.com and http://christian-overeaters.blogspot.com

      Delete

Freedom of Choice

The first humans were created in the image of God to be like Him in character and love with free will... which meant freedom to choose. ...