Saturday, September 22, 2012

Warnings From Israel's History
2 Corinthians Chapter 10: 1-13)


1. For I do not want you to be ignorant of the fact, brothers, that our forefathers were all under the cloud and that they all passed through the sea.

2. They were all baptised into Moses in the cloud and in the sea.

3. They all ate the same spiritual food

4. And drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the same spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ.

5. Nevertheless, God was not pleased with most of them; their bodies were scattered over the desert.

6. Now these things occurred as examples to keep us from setting our hearts on evil things as they did.

Some of the evil things they did were: They were idolaters, sexual immorality, grumblers, and testing God.

11. These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the fulfillment of the ages has come.

12. So if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall!

13. No temptation has seized you, except what is common to man. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear (with His help). But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.


Who were these people and where did they come from?

a) They were Israelites who lived in Egypt, the land of bondage.

b) God heard their cries and had mercy on them.

c) God had Moses lead them out of Egypt in order to bring them into the promised land.

d) First, all the families had to sacrifice a one year old male lamb without blemish and brush it's blood over the door posts of their homes to show they were obedient to God's command... proving they had put their faith in what He had promised. They would have understood this sacrifice pointed toward the Promised Messiah of God.

e) They were led out of the land of Bondage by a cloud by day and a fire by night, and then passed through the Red Sea.

f) God provided for their journey; even their clothes and sandals, over the 40 years, did not wear out. God provided "daily manna" for them to feed on, and all drank the same spiritual drink from the rock that accompanied them. That rock was Christ.



1. Why did an eleven day journey take 40 years? (Actually more, because the original generation, all over 20 years of age, with the exception of Joshua and Caleb, died out and it was the 2nd generation that finally crossed the Jordon into the promised land).

2. Even though God rescued them from bondage and provided for their needs, what were their hearts set on?

3. The Bible "warns" us we are to learn from their mistakes. What were their mistakes?

4. How do the type of mistakes they made relate to our day? To our life?

5. Are we "practicing" any of the above mentioned things the Bible warns us of?

6. Have we been freed from any particular bondage? If so, would you like to share as an encouragement to others?

7. Why is "grumbling" so bad? The Bible calls it "evil."

8. In what ways might we "test" God? The Bible also calls this "evil."

9. What do we spend most of our spare time on but find so very little, if any, time for God? What is my definition of an idol?

10. Who do we give glory to (credit), our self or God, when things work out? How about when things don't work out the way "we planned"?

11. Who sits on the throne of my heart, God or myself? What percentage of time would God occupy the throne ,and what percentage do I occupy the throne of my heart?

What are some ways we can begin changing who is going to direct our lives?


*****


These people were all covered by the blood of Christ (the promised One, the Lamb without blemish) because they took God at His Word and put their faith in the blood of the Lamb.

These people were rescued from the land of bondage that was under the rule of an evil, heartless, ruler. They were given hope for a new life in a new land of freedom. Bountiful blessings would be theirs as long as they looked to, and relied on God, and did not forget their deliverance and rebel against Him.

They were baptised into Moses under the cloud and in the Red Sea.

The history of God's people was one of rebellion and after being disciplined by God, they returned to Him and God had mercy on them. This scene repeated itself over and over again with God showing much patience with them and having to discipline them after a time (sometimes hundreds of years), then having mercy on them every time they called out to Him.

How would we describe our own sins of any of the above? Idolatries, sexual immoralities, grumblings and testing God?


We live in an age where every one of these things are all around us. We cannot help but recognize them because they are often "in our face" wherever we go. They are on TV, the internet, on signs in buses, malls, on the highways, on magazine covers etc. In our own strength, we cannot avoid falling to temptation to any, or even most of these things. We need supernatural, power of the Holy Spirit to live for Christ Jesus, and we need the Word of God to direct us and encourage us along our journey.



I think we all need to take occasional inventory of where we are spiritually, and ask ourselves, what are the things of this world that entangle me and hinder my walk with Christ Jesus?



Hebrews 12:1-3 (NIV)

1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
2 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

~Annie~


2 comments:

  1. Annie has some interesting information about the Israelite's 40 year journey to the Promised Land and comparisons with events of today. Debbie http://bible-passages.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having some medical problems at present that are making it difficult to spend much time with the blog lately. I'm certain this will be temporary. I will probably be expanding on this blog post by taking one of 10 questions above in this blog post each week and going further with it in how it relates to our present time and our lives today, mine specifically. This will give me some time to heal one medical problem so that it isn't interferring with another medical issue, as they both present with similar symptoms.

    I know that I have some areas where I need to get humbled and rely on others for a time. This is very difficult for me to do, even though my life could possibly depend on it (according to doctors).

    I would appreciate prayer in this area. I will write on this at a later time because I think it could be helpful to others who find it difficult to ask for help, especially in the wee hours of the morning... even though they would be there for others, in a New York minute. I hate the situation I am in, but I know God can bring good from it both for me, and for others.

    The two medical issues that are causing the problem are Atrial Fibrillation and Esophagal Spasms. Because esophagal spasms present as angina type pain, I am to go to ER every time I have chest pain. This can happen once a week, or two or three times in a 24 hour period. Most of mine occur between 12:30 am and 3:30 am and last for hours. This is why I have a difficult time waking others up in the wee hours to take me to emerg to be checked out. According to the doctors, if I don't, the one time I don't go to emerg could be the time it is a real heart attack or stroke. My family all care, are willing to be available, and have told me to call them. Ambulances are very costly if you need them more than once in a month, even though it is safer and much quicker a response and they are equipped with necessary medical equipment for keeping patient alive while getting them to the hospital. I am on a very limited income so cannot do that on a fairly regular basis. My family mainly live on the other side of the city I live in so it will take them up to 20 minutes longer, or more than an ambulance. I say I will call them, then when the time comes, and it is in the wee hours, I am finding myself stalling and stalling and hoping to make it to at least 5:30 am before having to call someone. I have been to the ER three times, first time by ambulance, the other two times I did call a family member but feel bad that whoever took me ends up going to work without sleep, or at least, very little. As I am writing this, just now, my chest is just beginning to hurt. Gald it is daytime.

    `Annie`

    ReplyDelete

Freedom of Choice

The first humans were created in the image of God to be like Him in character and love with free will... which meant freedom to choose. ...